Sunday 4 September 2011

Vintage shopping in Kingston

I've been rather bad at posting here lately - it feels like life has been too busy to actually report on it! I'll post in more detail about some of the things I've been up to soon, but in the meantime, here's to day's vintage find: a new vintage shop in Kingston, 'That Vintage Shop' (Old London Road, Kingston http://www.thatvintageshop.co.uk/ ).



I was actually in Kingston to pick up some fabric for a new re-enactment project, but on the way out of my favourite fabroc shop, FabricLand, I noticed a new vintage shop had opened up almost next door and popped in for a browse around. It's been a while since I had time to pop to this part of town, so I'm not sure how long it's been open, but based on their website, at least since March and I just hadn't noticed it yet.

Anyway, 'That Vintage Shop' is a nicely presented little vintage boutique, with items ranging from around the 1950s up to relatively modern second hand clothing (OK, I'm still in denial that the 1990s should be included in the terms vintage or even retro!). The more modern clothing tends not to have dates and descriptions on the tags, but the older clothes do, something I consider important in a vintage shop. The datings also seemed to be accurate from what I looked at, which is an important criteria in a shop for me. It's very definitely one of the types of vintage shops that tries to find items that match with current trends with maxi dresses and pleated skirts on offer. The clothes were well arranged and easy to rifle through. Prices were reasonable - not the cheapest you'll find, but not outrageously priced either.

The shop also had a good range of bags, hat and accessories, and also some modern vintage inspired clothes and hats as well. There were also cute touches such as an old fashioned style guest book for customers to leave comments in. This is definitely a shop I'll be popping into again when I'm passing, which is luckily fairly often.



Whilst on the subject of vintage shopping in Kingston, I should mention the Antiques market on the same street. A little indoor bazaar of lots of little antiques stalls, it's one of my favourite places to browse for vintage items, from furniture and home wares to clothes. The clothing side has always been hit and miss - a great deal more modern second hand clothes than proper vintage, but it has always been a place where with a good rifle around you can often find some really nice pieces at very good prices. Some of my favourite possessions were found hidden away in an obscure corner of this place. However, of late the clothing side has been going from strength to strength, with more vendors and a better range and quality of vintage clothing. Definitely worth a visit if you're ever in that part of town!

No comments:

Post a Comment